Friday, August 15, 2014

Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter #1)

About the book (from Goodreads):
Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux knows she is the best- but she does not know if even she is good enough for this job. Hired by the dangerously beautiful archangel Raphael, a being so lethal that no mortal wants his attention, Elena knows failure is not an option—even if the task is impossible.

Because this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to track. It's an archangel gone bad.

The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other—and pull her to the razor's edge of passion. Even if the hunt does not destroy her, succumbing to Raphael’s seductive touch just might. For when archangels play, mortals break.


Review:
I just fell in love with a new series. I couldn’t put the book down once I started reading it. This is the first book in Nalini Singh’s Guild Hunter series and Singh does an amazing job introducing readers to her world where Archangels create and control vampires. It is a different spin on the run-of-the-mill vampire novel. And Singh’s world is only enhanced with a relatable main character, Elena, and a mix of personality types in the vampire and archangel society.

Elena Deveraux was born with the unique ability to scent vampires, and that gives her an edge as a vampire hunter. That ability also makes her highly desirable to an archangel, Raphael, who needs her to scent out an archangel that is on a killing spree. Although Elena wants to turn down the job, Raphael will not take no for an answer. Together they must track down and destroy the rogue killer before more people are killed.

Singh’s writing style that is natural and quickly draws readers into her story. She creates a strong lead female character who doesn’t take well to being bullied and bossed around. Elena has been rejected by her family because of her career choice, so she has put up emotional walls to prevent herself from getting hurt again. When Raphael comes into Elena’s life, he’s the wrecking ball that is ready to break Elena’s walls. Try as Elena might to ignore her desire for through her defiance and smart mouth, eventually the archangel gets what he wants.

The ending has a nice twist that will have readers eager to continue on in the series. What will happen with Raphael and Elena’s relationship? How will Elena cope with the changes in her life—both emotionally and physically? I know that the next book, Archangel’s Kiss, will be a bit different from the first and I am eager to dive back into that world.

For readers that enjoy mystery, romance, danger, a little action, and of course fantasy, then this book is a must read!

About author Nalini Singh:
I've been writing as long as I can remember and all of my stories always held a thread of romance (even when I was writing about a prince who could shoot lasers out of his eyes). I love creating unique characters, love giving them happy endings and I even love the voices in my head. There's no other job I would rather be doing. In September 2002, when I got the call that Silhouette Desire wanted to buy my first book, Desert Warrior, it was a dream come true. I hope to continue living the dream until I keel over of old age on my keyboard.

I was born in Fiji and raised in New Zealand. I also spent three years living and working in Japan, during which time I took the chance to travel around Asia. I’m back in New Zealand now, but I’m always plotting new trips. If you’d like to see some of my travel snapshots, have a look at the Travel Diary page (updated every month).

So far, I've worked as a lawyer, a librarian, a candy factory general hand, a bank temp and an English teacher and not necessarily in that order. Some might call that inconsistency but I call it grist for the writer's mill.

Find Nalini Singh:   Website   Twitter   Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment